If you’re new to the world of blogging or reading blogs, here are a few tips to help you determine if the blog’s topics are of interest to you and whether you want to receive the blog’s posts when they offer content that interests you.
I admit that I was a late-comer to the world of blogs. Now that I’ve dipped my toe in the water, I enjoy being able to pick and choose content that brightens my day or makes me think. Yes, reading blog posts will take a few extra minutes of your day–on the days that you choose to do so– because having choice is what this is all about. So…
PRIMARY RULE: Don’t be a slave to reading the posts…when you find content, you have the right to delete it or read it at a later time. There is no place for guilt in the enjoyment of blogs!
I enjoy reading just a few blog posts most days. I find that I’m less stressed and more centered, spending a few extra minutes each day on ME. I’m staying connected with issues I care about through the sharing of others.
So, here are a few more suggestions for following blogs. Simple and easy:
- When you first visit a blog, decide if the typical content is of interest to you. Check out the indexes (more on this in a moment) If you find yourself interested in a few articles, then you might consider “Subscribing.”
- The “Category” index is a great start to understand the motivations of the blogger. Hopefully, there are no more than a dozen Categories, and you can relate to at least 3-4 of them.
- Also check out the “Tag Cloud” if one exists. This will be a more varied grouping of words or topics that the writer has addressed in previous blog posts. Hint: If you find a “tag” you like, click on it and
you’ll be taken to the story (or stories) that featured the topic. Click on a few, and if you like the writer’s style, consider “Subscribing.”
- About the writer’s style: Does the writer provide content of value to
you or are they just trying to sell something. Do you find it easy to follow their writing style? If they are providing information, is it
factual and original? Or, are they merely creating mounds of blog content for commercial purposes?
- RSS solves a problem for people who regularly use the web. It allows you to easily stay informed by retrieving the latest content from the sites that interest you. You save time by avoiding the need to visit each site individually. A variety of RSS Readers are available for different platforms. There are also a number of web-based feed
readers available. My Yahoo and Google Reader are popular
web-based feed readers. Once you have your Feed Reader, it is a matter of finding sites that syndicate content, then adding their RSS feed to the list of feeds your Feed Reader checks. Here is a great video tutorial to get you started. http://andywibbels.com/flash/google_reader.htm.
Bottom line: Blogs should be enjoyable and can provide a wealth of information, entertainment, introspection and personal development. Don’t allow them to
overwhelm you. Enjoy them!
Posted by Dori Wittrig, Designated Broker, Sonoran Lifestyle Real Estate. For more information about the neighborhoods, homes, condos or land of Scottsdale or Fountain Hills, contact her at DoriW@SonoranLifestyle.com
or by phone at 602-558-5901